Robert W Marshall was born in Glasgow around the mid 1860s.
A right half, Marshall had several clubs around Glasgow, starting at St Andrews, then Partick FC until it folded in the mid 1880s, and Partick Thistle. He joined Rangers in the summer of 1889, and was a key figure in the early years of the Scottish League. He won the shared championship of 1890/91 with Rangers, and also the Scottish Cup in 1894. In 1896 he moved to Abercorn.