Please note, Under-12s and 12-17 year-olds are permitted both indoor and outdoor activity.
18 year-olds and older are only permitted outdoor contact training and matches, as per Scottish Government and sportscotland guidance. The information below will take affect form Monday, 17 May and is for those within a ‘Level 2’ area in Scotland unless specified, with all other information available in the Return to Football Hub.
Clubs must be aware of their local authority COVID Protection Level and get information on what you can and cannot do at each level.
Guidance for All
- A reminder that information on the travel restrictions can be seen here.
- All activity must be arranged to take place in an appropriately risk assessed venue.
- At no stage should groups mix and appropriate one way systems should be in place at your facility.
- Please ensure that hygiene measures are implemented at all times.
- An outdoor sporting ‘field of play bubble’, including multiple bubbles, can be used for organised training, competition or participation events. Coaches, officials and other volunteers are not included in Level 0 to Level 2 bubble/participation numbers but please note, they are at Level 3. Support staff numbers should be limited to those that are required to ensure a safe, well run activity
- Use of changing rooms and showering facilities should be avoided where possible, although they may be made available (other than in Level 4 areas where indoor facilities should remain closed) for participants who require additional assistance, such as disabled people or those with additional support needs. Detailed information on toilets, changing and locker rooms can be found here.
- No spectating should take place other than where a parent or carer is supervising a child or vulnerable adult or when following specific Scottish Government: sector guidance for sporting events. Please note that Scottish Government is currently reviewing spectator guidance and an update will be provided when available.
- One parent per child is therefore permitted to supervise the activity, following all COVID protocols and adhering to the following guidance:
- Clubs must have a COVID Officer in place to ensure that all protocols are followed.
- Clubs must ensure that all parents are in an area that has been marked out and a minimum of two metres from the playing areas.
- It is recommended that a register of all those attending an event is kept by the club.
- Clubs must ensure that a health and safety check has been carried out, ensuring there is adequate space for parents to attend – including one way systems and maximum COVID safe capacities.
- At this time facility providers may not be able to accommodate parents, please therefore be respectful of local facility provider protocols.
All players and participants over the age of 13 and parents/carers are advised to undertake a COVID-19 eLearning course if they or their children are to participate in sports training, competitions and other events.
Under-12s and 12-17 year-olds – Training/Match Play Guidance
The Scottish Government and sportscotland guidance for children Under-12s and aged 12-17 years permits participation in indoor & outdoor contact group activity. sportscotland guidance can be found here.
We would urge everyone under the age of 17 to adhere to the following guidance:
- Contact activity for this age group is permitted, however physical distancing should be in place before and after activity.
- Parents/carers can take a young person under the age of 18 out of their Local Authority area for their organised activity.
- Physical distancing is necessary for coaches at all times.
- All Match Play/Training activity can consist of a maximum bubble of 50 people. Please note at level 2 this does not include coaches, officials, and other volunteers.
- Appropriate player to coach ratios must be in place, the officials must have a valid PVG and officials should include a qualified COVID Officer and First Aider.
- It is recommended that the ‘Match Playing Bubble’ should be half of a full size pitch, particularly for any festivals, ensuring there is adequate space.
- Inter-club matches or festivals are permitted at this stage, but numbers must not exceed the playing bubble as per Level Guidance on the Return To Football Hub.
- All festivals should be trophy free.
- Individual bubbles cannot mix at this stage and adequate space must be in place.
18 years and above - Training/Match Play Guidance
The Scottish Government and sportscotland guidance regarding 18 years and above, who are permitted to participate in outdoor contact group activity with full guidance can be found here.
We would urge everyone aged 18 and above to adhere to the following guidance:
- Outdoor only contact activity for this age group is permitted, however physical distancing should be in place before and after activity.
- 18 years and above players and officials can travel out of their Local Authority area for their organised activity.
- Physical distancing is necessary for coaches at all times.
- All Match Play/Training group activity can consist of a maximum bubble of 50 people. Please note at level 2 this does not include coaches, officials, and other volunteers.
- It is recommended for training to use appropriate ratios in terms of numbers adequate to the facility or area available, for example 20 participants to 1/3 of a pitch.
- It is recommended that a maximum of three playing bubbles take place on a full size pitch (It would be recommended for safety and quality of delivery not to exceed 90 on a full size pitch).
- Inter-club matches or festivals are permitted at this stage but numbers must not exceed the playing bubble.
- Playing bubbles cannot mix at this stage and adequate space must be in place.
- Two appropriate PVG officials for SYFA activity much be involved and all activity should be supported by a qualified COVID Officer and First Aider per playing/match bubble.
As restrictions are eased across Scotland on 17 May 20201, the following webinar is delivered by key Scottish FA staff to talk through new guidelines.