William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final
Hibernian 0-0 Dundee United (Hibernian win 4-2 on penalties)
Saturday 16th April 2016, 12.15pm
Hampden Park, Glasgow

Hibernian reached the William Hill Scottish Cup Final for the first time since 2013 with a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over Dundee United.

Two saves from Conrad Logan were the difference in the dramatic conclusion as Jason Cummings, who missed a penalty in the first half, slotted the winning penalty past Dundee United’s Kawashima.

Alan Stubbs made two changes from his team that drew 2-2 with Falkirk on Tuesday. Liam Henderson replaced Martin Boyle, while Conrad Logan deputised in goal for the suspended Mark Oxley. Mix Paatelainen drafted in Sean Dillon, Blair Spittal, Coll Donaldson and Chris Erskine following last weekend’s 2-0 defeat at home to Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Championship side Hibernian started the stronger the opening exchanges, keeping possession well. In the 28th minute their dominance was rewarded as a Fraser Fyvie cross was handled in the box by Coll Donaldson. Jason Cummings attempted a Panenka, but his chip drifted over the bar.

The Hibees dominance was almost short lived as poor passing in the middle set Billy McKay free. The Northern Irishman nearly opened the scoring but Conrad Logan did well to smother the danger. In the closing stages of the first half Dundee United were almost rewarded as confusion in the Hibernian defence left Billy McKay through on goal, but again Logan saved.

A blistering strike from Chris Erskine looked to open the scoring in the early stages of the second half, but the shot was held well by Logan. Hibernian’s David Gray created a perfect chance for Jason Cummings moments later to fire the Hibees in front, but the Scottish striker couldn't connect. The second-half failed to yield any more clear-cut chances, and the match went into extra time.

United came out swinging first, with Ian Rankin forcing a save from Logan with his strike from distance. In the closing stages of the half Hibernian’s Conrad Logan brought the fans to their feet with two stunning back-to-back saves to prevent Henri Anier - who was on loan at Hibernian earlier in the season -  from taking the lead.

As the game progressed into the second half of extra time, the Hibees looked much more lively, Scotland’s Under-21 international Jason Cummings found space and tried from distance but his strike was parried away by Kawashima. Despite the valiant attempts from either side, the match entered penalties.

It was here that Logan played his way into Hibernian folklore, saving penalties from Blair Spittal and Billy McKay. With John McGinn, Grant Hanlon, and Martin Boyle all scoring for Hibernian, Jason Cummings netted the winning penalty to book Hibernian’s place in their second domestic cup final of the season.

Hibernian will play the winner of tomorrow’s semi-final between Rangers and Celtic at Hampden Park on Saturday 21st May.

Hibernian | Logan, Gray (C), Henderson (Boyle), Hanlon, Bartley, Fyvie, Stevenson, McGinn, McGregor, Stokes (El Alagui, then Dagnall), Cummings

SUBS | Virtanen, Handling, Gunnarsson, Thomson

Dundee United  | Kawashima, Dillon, Morris (Dixon), Paton (C), McKay, Rankin, Erskine (Anier), Knoyle, Dow, Spittal, Donaldson (Demel)

SUBS | Zwick, Fraser, Ofere, Sinama-Pongolle