Scotland 1-1 Switzerland
Wednesday, 19 June 2024
Cologne Stadium, Cologne

Scotland secure their first point of EURO 2024 as Scott McTominay's goal is cancelled out by Xherdan Shaqiri's curler. Steve Clarke's side now go into Sunday's match against Hungary knowing that a win would likely see them through to the last 16. 


Scotland 1: McTominay 13

Switzerland 1: Shaqiri 26

Team News

Scotland Head Coach Steve Clarke made two changes following his side's defeat to hosts Germany in the EURO 2024 opener, with Grant Hanley coming in for the suspended Ryan Porteous and Billy Gilmour replacing Ryan Christie.

As It Happened

Their was an early poignant moment as Scotland fans applauded in the fourth minute to remember Colin King, a supporter who sadly passed away last week while in Germany supporting his country.

Scotland started the game on the front foot, pressing high and winning a series of early corners.

And they would make their bright start count, getting their noses in front in the 13th minute with a brilliant breakaway goal.

McTominay started the move, heading clear a Swiss corner before Billy Gilmour freed Andy Robertson. The captain drove forward and released Callum McGregor, whose pass was rifled home first time by McTominay, with the aid of a deflection. 

Switzerland would level though shortly before the half hour mark as experienced midfielder Xerdan Shaqiri capitalised on a loose pass and curled home a stunning equaliser.

It was proving to be an entertaining contest and Angus Gunn was forced to make two strong saves from Dan Ndoye and Shaqiri, while Ndoye also had a goal chalked off for offside. 

Scotland were enjoying lots of composed possession though and they threatened as well through Che Adams who volleyed straight at Yan Sommer when found free at the back post. 

Ruben Vargas had the first effort of the second period in the 56th minute but it was well held by Angus Gunn.

The dangerous Ndoye came close again as he wriggled free of Kieran Tierney before slotting narrowly wide of the post. 

Tierney unfortunately suffered a hamstring in the process and he was forced to leave the field on a stretcher, being replaced by Scott McKenna.

The Swiss had looked the more dangerous side in the second half but it was Scotland who were inches away from a second goal as Grant Hanley headed Robertson's dangerous free-kick against the left hand post.

Scott McKenna also met a Robertson free-kick with a header in the 74th minute but his sailed over the bar as Scotland enjoyed a good spell.

There was a late scare with ten minutes to go as substitute Breel Embolo beat Angus Gunn but for the second time this evening the flag was up. 

Switzerland came close again through Zeki Amdouni while Callum McGregor also shot over in a frantic climax to the game but the match ended level.

Scotland now go in to Sunday's crunch tie against Hungary knowing that a win win likely send them through to the knock-out stages for the first time in history.


Scotland: Gunn, Tierney (McKenna 61), Hanley, Hendry, Robertson, McGregor, Gilmour (McLean 79), Ralston, McTominay, McGinn (Christie 90), Adams (Shankland 90)

Unused substitutes: Armstrong, Clark, Cooper, Forrest, Jack, Kelly, McCrorie, Morgan, Taylor

Sommer, Rodríguez, Akanji, Schär, Aebischer, Xhaka, Freuler (Sierro 75), Widmer, Vargas (Rieder 75), Shaqiri (Embolo 60), Ndoye

Unused substitutes: Amdouni, Duah, Elvedi, Jashari, Kobel, Mvogo, Okafor, Steffen, Stergiou, Zesiger

Next Up
Scotland face Hungary in their final Group A match on Sunday. That game is scheduled for a 9pm kick off in Stuttgart.