Grant Murray’s side secure cup double at Hampden Park

2018 Scottish Youth Cup Final
Aberdeen 1-3 Hibernian
Thursday, 26 April 2018
Hampden Park

Aberdeen: Connor McLennan (16)
Hibernian: Joe MacPherson OG (32), Ryan Porteous (72), Jamie Gullan (78)

Hibernian capped off a memorable season adding the Scottish FA Youth Cup to their league trophy.

In what was a tightly contested match, Aberdeen took the lead before Hibernian equalised with half an hour gone.

In the second half the game was on a knife edge until two goals knocked the stuffing out of Aberdeen and ensured the trophy was Edinburgh bound.


How the match played out

Hibernian went into the match as favourites having defeated Aberdeen 2-0 last week in the league and they started well with Oli Shaw going close in the opening exchanges.

After 16 minutes, Aberdeen took a shock 1-0 lead when Connor McLennan began a strong run from the right hand side where he shrugged off several defenders in the box before curling the ball into the corner.

Moments later Hibernian were close to equalising when Fraser Murray unleashed a thunderbolt effort from the edge of the area, on the left side.

Murray wasn’t to be denied though and on 32 minutes he went a long way to aiding the equaliser.

On the opposite flank this time he crossed dangerously and Joe MacPherson knocked the ball home under pressure from Oli Shaw to make the scores level at half-time.

After the break Hibernian nearly took the lead when Sean Mackie smashed the ball from distance and saw it rocket beyond the near post.

In what was an even contest throughout, Aberdeen then had a chance of their own when Daniel Harvie lined up a free-kick and was met by a solid Maciej Dabrowski save.

The end-to-end action continued after 67 minutes when David Craddock had to get down low and he pulled off a wonderful save from a powerful drive.

A minute later and it was Dabrowski who had to be down to his left hand side promptly to block a strong Ethan Ross shot.

After 72 minutes Hibernian finally took the lead.

A pinpoint Ben Stirling cross from the right found Ryan Porteous who rose high to head the ball into the net and then celebrated in front of the raucous Hibs support.

That goal seemed to knock the wind from Aberdeen’s sails and they soon made it 3-1. Oli Shaw whipped the ball in from the right and Jamie Gullan was able to poke it home.

Man of the Match

Hibernian captain Ryan Porteous was a stand out for Hibernian and looked a composed figure at the heart of their defence, capping his performance with the second goal that proved pivotal to sealing the victory.

Co-commentator for the match and former Hibernian striker, Tam McManus said: “He was exceptional at the back and showed his class with the goal. He really deserved his goal.”

Watch the game again


Aberdeen: David Craddock, Ryan Harrington, Daniel Harvie, Dean Campbell (Captain), Joe MacPherson, Sam Roscoe, Connor McLennan, Seb Ross, Bruce Anderson, Frank Ross, Ethan Ross (David Dangana, 72)

Unused substitutes: Archie Mair, Miko Virtanen, Chris Antoniazzi, Jack MacKenzie, Toby Wells, Connor Barron

Hibernian: Maciej Dabrowski, Callum Donaldson, Sean Mackie, Ryan Porteous (Captain), Kevin Waugh, Josh Campbell, Fraser Murray, Ben Stirling, Oli Shaw, Innes Murray, Jamie Gullan

Unused substitutes: Partick Martin, Kane O’Connor, Adam Watson, Gregor Woods, Ruari Paton, Ryan Shanley, Yrik Gallantes

Match officials

Referee: Iain Sneddon
Assistants: Gary Hanvidge & Chris Hughes
Fourth Official: Ryan Lee