William Hill Scottish Cup Final
Celtic 2-1 Aberdeen
Saturday, 27 April 2017, kick-off 3pm
Hampden Park

Celtic: Stuart Armstrong  (11), Tom Rogic (91)

Aberdeen: Jonny Hayes (9)

Brendan Rodgers’ Celtic crowned an incredible year by winning their first treble since 2001 in the week where Celtic celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Lisbon Lions triumph of 1967.

The Celtic fans had to wait until the 91st minute for the win to be secured after being pushed all the way by a determined Aberdeen team who came flying out the starting blocks and opened the scoring.

Stuart Armstrong hit back with an equaliser immediately and after a game which swung like a pendulum, Tom Rogic went on a marauding run and slotted the ball home at Joe Lewis’ near post.

Afterwards Tom Rogic reflected on his goal and said: “It happened so quickly and it’s hard to put into words.

"It’s an amazing feeling, especially for it to happen right at the last minute.

“The way it ended made it a lot sweeter.

“The way we played in the second-half, we were on the front foot. We had chance after chance and it was just a matter of time. 

“We had faith in our fitness, whether it was going to go to extra-time or not but we’re just so happy.

“To go undefeated throughout the season is something special. It’s probably the best feeling in football and we just have to enjoy it now.”

There was a carnival atmosphere pre-match with Aberdeen unveiling an impressive ‘Stand Free’ crowd display and they were in raptures within 10 minutes of the first whistle.

Jonny Hayes escaped the marking of Leigh Griffiths to fire home from a McGinn corner.

The Dons were euphoric but it didn’t last long when Stuart Armstrong blasted the ball into the net with a powerful strike.

Celtic were dealt a set-back when boyhood Celtic fan Tierney was hit in the face by a Jayden Stockley elbow and had to go off with blood coming from his mouth. 

Rogic came on meaning Calum McGregor operated at the unfamiliar position of left-back.

Aberdeen were a lively force and had Celtic sweating at times as the weather contrasted from thundering rain to blazing sunshine throughout the match.

Both sides went in at half-time with the scores level 1-1 following Scott Sinclair missing a golden opportunity.

In the second-half Kenny McLean missed an open goal after the ball was put on a plate for him, five yards out, by Jonny Hayes.

With 64 minutes on the clock, Patrick Roberts smashed the upright as Celtic cranked up the pressure and Dedryck Boyata was then presented with a chance but blasted a powerful header over the bar.

The game was end-to-end throughout and Shinnie also went close through a thunderous effort but Gordon tipped it round the post.

With 10 minutes remaining the game was on a knife-edge and Scott Sinclair missed a third golden chance when he got on the end of a cross ball but didn’t get any power to direct it by Joe Lewis.

In the 90th minute, Celtic’s treble dreams were realised when Rogic’s marauding run ended with a brilliant strike which sneaked in at the near post sparking manic celebrations.

Stat Attack


Celtic: 59% Aberdeen: 41%

Shots on goal

Celtic: 22 Aberdeen: 10


Celtic: 8 Aberdeen: 15


Celtic: 1 Aberdeen: 1

Celtic | Gordon, Lustig, Simunovic, Boyata, Tierney (Rogic, 25), Brown (Captain), McGregor, Armstrong, Roberts (Sviatchenko, 94), Sinclair, Griffiths

Unused substitutes: De Vries, Bitton, Dembele, Gamboa, Forrest

Aberdeen | Lewis, Logan, Shinnie (Captain), Considine, Taylor, Reynolds, McLean, McGinn (O’Connor, 74), Hayes, Stockley (Rooney, 62), Jack (Wright, 93)

Unused substitutes: Alexander, Pawlett, Wright, Ross, Storey

Man of the Match: Tom Rogic

Attendance: 48,713