Israel 2-1 Scotland
Thursday 11 October, 2018
Sammy Ofer Stadium, Haifa
UEFA Nations League, League C – Group 1

Israel: Dor Peretz (51), Kieran Tierney (75, og)
Scotland: Charlie Mulgrew (25, pen)

Alex McLeish’s Scotland side succumbed to a 2-1 defeat against Israel in their second UEFA Nations League match.

Scotland were 1-0 to the good at the break but Israel dominated large spells of the match and took an early lead in the second half before John Souttar was sent-off.

The defeat was then confirmed when Kieran Tierney inadvertently knocked the ball beyond Allan McGregor.

Scotland remain top of Group 1 in League C on goal difference with matches against Albania and Israel still to be played.

Scotland were unchanged from the side that comfortably defeated Albania 2-0 but started the match slowly with Israel going close early on.

Fresh from scoring a double for RB Salzburg against Celtic last week Munas Dabbur nodded inches over the bar in the opening 10 minutes.

On form for Rangers, Allan McGregor was forced to pull off a superb stop with 19 minutes on the clock when he palmed a Dor Peretz header to safety.

Six minutes later, Scotland took the lead through a penalty which was conceded by Dor Peretz who brought down Steven Naismith in the box with a shoulder charge.

Charlie Mulgrew made no mistake from the spot, taking a slight stutter in his run up before coolly slotting into the net, scoring his first international goal since May 2014.

Israel remained a threat despite going behind and had two chances in quick succession but Ben Sahar fired well over and Beram Kayal nearly scored his first international goal since 2011 but McGregor was equal to it.

As the half-time break neared, Israel continued to pepper Scotland’s goal. Dabbur hit the ball narrowly over the bar with Sahar thumping the upright.

As the whistle blew, Scotland went into the dressing room 1-0 to the good.

The start of the second period began in similar vein to how the first ended with Andreas Herzog’s side in control and they received their rewards when Dor Peretz slipped the ball into the net from close range, under pressure from Andy Robertson.

Scotland were put under more pressure when John Souttar was sent off for a second yellow having fouled Dabbur at the edge of the box.

Allan McGregor was in sensational form and prevented a goal with 64 minutes on the clock just a moment before Taleb Twatha thumped the crossbar.

Israel did eventually score their second when Kieran Tierney sliced the ball beyond McGregor.

Scotland looked to immediately retaliate with Callum McGregor going close on two occasions but it wasn't to be on a forgettable evening in Haifa.

What’s Next?

Scotland are back in action on Sunday at Hampden Park as European Champions Portugal come to town for an International Friendly having defeated Poland 3-2 in their UEFA Nations League match.

Buy tickets now

Alex McLeish’s side will then take on Albania away from home on Saturday, 17 November and Israel at Hampden on Tuesday, 20 November as they look to get their UEFA Nations League campaign back on track.

Israel: Ariel Harush, Eli Dasa, Bibras Natcho (C), Beram Kayal (Daniel Einbinder, 82), Dor Peretz, Munas Dabbur, Sheran Yeini, Taleb Twatha (Eliran Atar, 76), Ben Sahar (Dia Seba, 46), Omri Ben Harush, Eytan Tibi

Unused substitutes: Guy Haimov, Mahmud Kannadli, Dan Glazer, Ayad Habashi, Shir Tzedek, Tomer Hemed, Dor Micha, Mohammad Awwad, Ben Bitton

Scotland: Allan McGregor, Stephen O'Donnell, Andy Robertson, John Souttar, Charlie Mulgrew (Scott McKenna, 46), Kieran Tierney, John McGinn, Kevin McDonald, Steven Naismith (Oli McBurnie, 76), Johnny Russell (James Forrest, 67), Callum McGregor

Unused substitutes: Craig Gordon, Jon McLaughlin, Jack Hendry, Graeme Shinnie, Stuart Armstrong