William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final
Hibernian 0-1 Falkirk
Saturday, April 18 2015
Hampden Park

Falkirk held on to book their place in the 2015 William Hill Scottish Cup final with 1-0 over Hibernian at Hampden Park.

Hibernian hit the woodwork twice and created the game’s best chances but were undone by an excellent header from Falkirk's Craig Sibbald 15 minutes before the end.

The Bairns will now play in their fifth-ever Scottish Cup final on May 30th against the winner of the other semi-final between Inverness Caley Thistle and Celtic.

The last time these two sides met in a Scottish Cup semi-final was 2013, when Hibernian came from 3-0 down to take the game into extra-time and eventually advance to the final.

Initially it looked as though the fans might be treated to another spectacle with several good chances created in an entertaining opening period.

Within the first minute a great run from Jason Cummings down the right was cut back into the box, with Farid El Alagui just missing out on his teammates clever pass.

The French-Moroccan forward was offered an even better chance a few minutes later. A deflected Dylan McGeouch cross forced Jamie MacDonald to palm the ball down to El Alagui, who made a brave attempt to head in the rebound whilst lying on the turf.  His unconventional attempt at goal was well held by the Falkirk keeper though.

Falkirk’s only attempt at goal in the first-half came from the boot of Will Vaulks who unleashed a powerful drive from 35 yards out that whizzed past Mark Oxley’s left post - much to the big Englishman’s relief.

Hibs duo Scott Allan and Fraser Fyvie were dovetailing particularly well in the centre of midfield and it was Fyvie who would conjure up the best chance of the first-half.

The former Aberdeen man worked himself into space before blasting a shot at goal that cannoned off the post. Replays showed that MacDonald got the slightest of fingertip touches to keep the scores level going into half-time.

Blair Alston’s drive from distance almost caught Hibernian asleep as the second-half commenced but Oxley was alert enough to palm wide.

Hibernian striker Cummings turned creator to carve open an excellent chance for his team just after the hour mark. It was his bright run and cross down the left that found its way to the unmarked McGeough. The midfielder scuffed his volley but was able to tee up a similar chance for Lewis Stevenson, who blasted over.

On 63 minutes the impressive Scott Allan surged his way through the Falkirk defence and unleashed a rising shot that came off the post – a miss he would quickly come to regret.

Just when Hibernian thought they were turning the screw, Falkirk struck the vital goal of the game with 15 minutes left. Some good work on the right from Alston was followed up with a good cross that met Sibbald, who rose above his marker to bullet a header past Oxley.

Falkirk’s goal proceeded a frantic last period of the game with Hibernian pushing for an all-important equaliser. El Alagui came closest after meeting a good through-ball from Allan but couldn’t sneak his shot past the advancing MacDonald.

There would be no comeback ala 2013 for Hibernian as Falkirk held on to record one of the greatest results in their history.

Hibernian: Oxley (GK), Hanlon, Fontaine (c), Forster, Robertson, (Dja Djedje 80), El Alagui, Stevenson, Allan, Fyvie, McGeouch, Cummings (Malonga 87) SUBS: Cerny (GK), Craig, Stanton, Handling, Dunsmore

Falkirk: MacDonald (GK), Duffie, McCracken (c), Vaulks, Taiwo, Alston, Smith (Bia-Bi 45), Sibbald, Grant, Leahy, Morgan (Muirhead 77). SUBS: Bowman (GK), Dick, Cooper, Blair, O’Hara.