Celtic were dominant in Sunday's semi-final as they cruised to a third straight William Hill Scottish Cup Final in a game that saw two red cards for Aberdeen and Derek McInnes sent to the stand.


This was Aberdeen's third William Hill Scottish Cup Semi-Final in a row. Celtic were appearing in the semi-finals for the fifth time in a row and chasing a potential treble treble.


Aberdeen starting line-up:

Joe Lewis (GK), Andrew Considine, Scott McKenna (Captain), Greg Stewart, Sam Cosgrove, Stevie May, Lewis Ferguson, Dominic Ball, Dean Campbell, Connor McLennan, Max Lowe


Celtic starting line-up:

Scott Bain (GK), Mikael Lustig, Jozo Simunovic, Kristoffer Ajer, Kieran Tierney, Scott Brown (Captain), Callum McGregor, Ryan Christie, James Forrest, Johnny Hayes, Odsonne Edouard


It was a physical first half that saw Celtic go in front in additional time after a serious head injury for Ryan Christie.

Celtic started very brightly with Jozo Simunovic having two attempts in the space of a minute followed by efforts from Johnny Hayes and Ryan Christie.Β 

In the fourth minute, Simunovic picked the ball up at the halfway line and took the ball all the way to the edge of the box before his low effort was tipped round the post by Joe Lewis in the Aberdeen goal.

From the resulting corner and from five yards out, Simunovic put his side-footed effort past the post.

Johnny Hayes drove into the box just a minute later after coming in from the left wing. His attempt flashed across the goal not troubling Lewis.

Ryan Christie's attempt from distance that went just past the post was another attempt for Celtic in just the opening seven minutes.

The game became more physical and it wasn't until the 30th minute until we saw another worthwhile attempt on goal. Callum McGregor's curling shot from just outside the box after Christie dummied Edouard's lay-off wasn't far away.

It took until the 36th minute for Aberdeen to have an attempt on goal. Sam Cosgrove volleyed wide from a Dominic Ball cross.

The big talking point of the first half came straight after. Dominic Ball challenged Ryan Christie for a header in midfield for which Ball was shown his second yellow. Christie had to be stretchered off as a result to be replaced by Tom Rogic.

1-0 to Celtic

Celtic took advantage over the 10 men of Aberdeen with James Forrest curling in the opener.

Forrest picked up a pass from Callum McGregor before turning past Max Lowe and putting the ball into the far top corner. from 25 yards

The Celtic winger would nearly make it 2-0 deep into the six minutes additional time but he was denied by Lewis.



Celtic dominated the second half over 10-man Aberdeen and on the 61st minute it was soon to be game over.Β 

Michael Devlin was penalised for bringing down Forrest in the box. Edouard made no mistake with the penalty.

From Bad To Worse For Aberdeen

2-0 down and playing with 10 men, frustrations boiled over for Lewis Ferguson as his two-footed tackle on Rogic outside the box resulted in a straight red card for the midfielder.

Mikael Lustig stood over the free-kick and his low shot bounced back off the wall; instead of trying again he laid it off to Rogic who placed the ball in the bottom corner to make it 3-0 to Celtic.

Johnny Hayes and Simunovic both attempted long-range shots which sandwiched Derek McInnes getting sent to the stands by referee Craig Thomson.

Jozo Simunovic was determined to get on the scoresheet, his last attempt being a low bicycle kick that went past the post from a Lustig cross.Β 

Edouard and Rogic both looked to double their goal tallies with late long range shots but there wasn't to be a fourth for Celtic.

Full Time

Aberdeen 0 - 3 Celtic

James Forrest (45+1), Odsonne Edouard (62 pen), Tom Rogic (68)

Attendance:Β 46,773

William Hill Man of the Match:Β James Forrest


"I struck it sweetly and was buzzing to see it hit the back of the net."

Hear from Celtic's first goalscorer, James Forrest.