UEFA European Under-17 Championship Finals – Group B
France 2-1 Scotland
Tuesday, 9 May 2017, kick-off 4pm (local time)
Stadium Velika Gorica, Velika Gorica

Scotland were denied a place in the quarter-finals of the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in heart-breaking circumstances after a last-minute goal by Lyon’s Amine Gouiri  sent them crashing out of this summer’s tournament in Croatia at the expense of France.

Scotland required a point to advance to the knockout stage of the competition and they went agonisingly close to progressing after Zak Rudden’s header early in the second half cancelled out Gouiri’s 35th-minute opener.

However the French eventually forced home an 80th-minute winner after piling on the pressure late in the game.

The defeat was Scotland’s first of the entire campaign, spanning a total of nine matches.

They travelled to Croatia on the back of a 100% qualifying campaign before defeating Faroe Islands and drawing with Hungary in their opening two matches at the finals.

This evening's defeat though was enough to end their participation.

A stroke of luck fell France’s way for the opening goal: Yacine Adli’s cross was met by the fists of Jon McCracken in the Scotland goal but the ball fell perfectly for Gouiri and headed home his sixth goal of this year’s finals.

Scotland struck back almost immediately after half time when Rudden powered home Elliot Watt’s corner kick, the Rangers forward's second goal at this summer’s year’s championship.

The French pushed for the winning goal that would see them progress and they hit the woodwork three times in the last ten minutes.

Scotland ran out of luck in the last minute of normal time, however.

Gouiri controlled the influential Adli’s cross before stroking the ball past McCracken and ending Scotland’s participating at this year’s finals.

SCOTLAND | McCracken (GK), Mayo, Church, Welsh, Mitchell, Aitchison (Cpt.), Watt, Rudden (Cameron 73), Middleton (Deas 78), McInroy (Ross 63), Houston.

Subs not used: Mullen (GK), Hutchison, Smith, Reid.