UEFA Women’s EURO 2017 Qualifiers
Scotland 0-4 Iceland
Friday 3rd June 2016, kick-Off 7pm
The Falkirk Stadium, Falkirk

Gísladóttir 10’, Thorsteinsdóttir 62’, Jónsdóttir 65’, Vidarsdóttir 69’

Scotland suffered their first defeat of the UEFA Women's EURO 2017 qualifying campaign with a 4-0 loss to Group 1's top seeds, Iceland.

It was all to play for at half time, with Iceland holding a 1-0 lead, but the game got away from Anna Signeul’s side as they conceded three further goals in a seven minute period.

It was a disappointing evening for a Scotland squad that came in to the game at The Falkirk Stadium with a 100% record in the previous five qualifiers.

Iceland looked imposing from the outset, and opened the scoring within 10 minutes. Arsenal’s Emma Mitchell conceded a free kick well outside the area, and a curling ball from Hallbera Gísladóttir was not cleared and found its way in at the far post.

In the 33rd minute Gísladóttir delivered another wonderful ball into the back post but Hólmfrídur Magnúsdóttir just could not connect. Freyr Alexandersson’s side continued to look dangerous throughout the first half having back to back attempts on goal, but Fay stood strong.

Thorsteinsdottir then had the ball over the line, but Scotland were spared by the offside flag.

Both sides made changes at half time with Glasgow City’s Hayley Lauder coming on to replace Mitchell. Gunnhildur Jónsdóttir came on to replace Portland Thorns' Dagný Brynjarsdóttir for Iceland.

Iceland had a flurry of chances just after the break, but while Scotland had looked nervy and sloppy in possession in the first half, they were beginning to look far more composed.

Some neat play in the final third saw the ball break to Kirsty Smith who had an attempt from distance, but the ball fizzed just inches by the post.
By far the best opportunity to level the scoreline came when BBC’s Women's World Player of the Year, Kim Little, weaved through the Iceland defence and found Hayley Lauder out wide. She drilled the ball across the face of the Iceland goal, with Jane Ross sliding in, but the Manchester City striker couldn't connect.

Just as they looked to be gaining some momentum, Scotland suffered a blow when Iceland doubled their lead against the run of play.

A floated cross in to the area from Magnúsdóttir was met by Thorsteinsdóttir, who headed past Fay. The second goal seemed to knock the wind out of the home side, and they conceded two more goals in quick succession.

Jónsdóttir  connected with a wonderful ball from Gísladóttir to send a looping header over Fay. Iceland's fourth was almost a replica of their second and third, with the captain Margrét Vidarsdóttir scoring another header.

Scotland could have had a consolation goal when they were awarded a last minute penalty. Little’s effort summed up Scotland’s evening, with her strike hitting the outside of the post and deflecting wide.

With the eight group winners and six best runners-up securing a place at the finals in The Netherlands next summer, Scotland still remain in the running for an automatic qualification place, and will be looking to regroup quickly for Tuesday's match against Belarus in Minsk.

Scotland: Fay (GK)(C), Mitchell (Lauder, 46), Dieke, Love, Little,  Crichton (Weir, 55), Evans (L Ross, 73), J Ross, Corsie, Beattie, Smith

Unused subs: Lynn (GK), Ness, C Murray, J Murray