Inverness and Aberdeen were the first sides to secure their place in the next round of the Scottish Cup during an action-packed weekend of Third Round action.

Inverness began the weekend with a shock result in the Highland Derby on Friday night. The Championship side came from behind to comfortably sweep aside Premiership strugglers Ross County 3-1.

Billy Mckay gave Ross County the lead in the first meeting between these pair in nearly two years.

Nikolay Todorov immediately responded, before MacKay's solo goal put the visitors in front. Sutherland then booked Inverness's place in the next round late on.

In the lunchtime kick-off Callum Hendry secured Aberdeen's place in the Fourth Round six minutes from time to seal a tight 1-0 win. Dumbarton did have chances to upset the odds but in the end Aberdeen's experience told and they edged over the line.

Later on in the day an early goal at Somerset Park sent Clyde on their way and Ayr United failed to mount a comeback meaning David Hopkin's side exit the competition.

Brora Rangers started strongly against Stranraer and with the game poised at 1-1 after 90 minutes the match entered extra-time where the visitors showed their dominance and edged out Brora 3-1.

Partick Thistle were looking like they'd pull off the shock of the round when they took the lead after 25 minutes through Scott Tiffoney but Ian McCall's former star striker Lawrence Shankland came back to haunt him and levelled late on. Nicky Clark then scored the winner in the 91st minute to ensure the favourites progressed.

This season's Betfred Cup finalists Livingston went behind earlier on against Raith Rovers, and the high flying Championship side ensure the match would go the distance. In extra-time however David Martindale's side were able to notch the winner after 109 minutes when Matej Poplatnik hit the back of the net.

East Fife could count themselves unlucky not to defeat Morton as they were 1-0 up going into the dying moments but a goal just before the final whistle forced the match into extra time. Muirhead was able to score the goal which ensured Morton's progression.

Elsewhere Premiership sides Kilmarnock, Motherwell and St Johnstone showed their dominance against lower league opposition. St Mirren also swept aside Hamilton Accies 3-0 to secure their place in Sunday's draw.

In the last game of the day, on Saturday, James Forrest scored on his first Celtic start since September as the Scottish Cup holders overcame Falkirk. After 55 minutes of keeping Celtic quiet Falkirk succcumbed when Forrest hit the net with the aid of a deflection.

Ryan Christie's low strike quickly doubled the lead before substitute Mohamed Elyounoussi sealed the 3-0 victory.

The Scottish Cup Fourth and Fifth Round draws will take place live on the Scottish Cup social media channels on Sunday, 4 April at 2pm. Current chart topper Nathan Evans, who has risen to fame this year with his hit sea shanty hit ‘Wellerman’, will conduct both draws alongside Clyde Superscoreboard’s Gordon Duncan.

Scottish Cup Third Round Results

Friday, 2 April 2021

Ross County 1-3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 

Saturday, 3 April 2021

Dumbarton 0-1 Aberdeen
Brora Rangers 1-3 Stranraer (AET)
Dundee United 2-1 Partick Thistle
Dundee 0-1 St Johnstone
East Fife 1-2 Greenock Morton (AET)
Ayr United 0-1 Clyde
Forfar Athletic 2-2 Edinburgh City (AET) Forfar win 5-3 on penalities
Formartine United 0-5 Motherwell
Fraserburgh 2-4 Montrose
Hamilton Academical 0-3 St Mirren
Livingston 2-1 Raith Rovers
Stenhousemuir 0-4 Kilmarnock
Celtic 3-0 Falkirk

Sunday, 4 April 2021

Rangers v Cove Rangers (Live on Premier Sports – 6.30pm)

Monday, 5 April 2021

Queen of the South v Hibernian (Live on BBC Scotland – 7.45pm)