Scotland 0-1 Hungary 
Sunday, 23 June 2024
Stuttgart Arena, Stuttgart 

Scotland bow out of EURO 2024 after an agonising last-gasp defeat to Hungary. Both sides had chances in a dramatic injury-time period but it was Kevin Csoboth who broke the deadlock as Hungary countered from a Scotland corner.


Scotland 0:

Hungary 1: (Kevin Csoboth 90)

Team News

Scotland Head Coach Steve Clarke made just one change from the side who secured a valuable point against Switzerland on Wednesday evening in Stuttgart, as Scott McKenna came in to replace the injured Kieran Tierney. Ryan Porteous remained unavailable for this match following his red card against Germany in the tournament opener. 

As It Happened

After another rousing rendition of Flower of Scotland from the Tartan Army, it was the Scots who started brighter, enjoying some composed early possession and playing the game in Hungarians half. 

It was Hungary who had the first effort on goal though as they sprung a counter-attack and Bendegúz Bolla had a long-range effort well saved by Angus Gunn.

It proved to be a cagey first half hour, with Hungary content to let Scotland dominate the ball but Clarke's side struggled to create anything of note.

Their opponents were also restricted to shots from range, with Dom Szoboslai seeing a free-kick deflected wide and Roland Sallai firing high and wide. 

There was a scare for Scotland just before half-time as Willi Orban headed off the top of the bar after being found by Szoboslai.

The first half would end goalless though, with both sides looking to create more chances in the second half.  

Scotland failed to register a shot on goal in the opening period but Che Adams soon had an effort just after half-time, shooting narrowly over after good work by captain Andy Robertson.

Sallai also had an effort on the counter-attack but Anthony Ralston and Jack Hendry combined well to block.

A tense second half was then delayed for a period after a nasty coming together in the box and Barnabas Varga received treatment on the field before being stretchered off. 

Steve Clarke looked to his bench with Scotland needing a goal and Ryan Christie, Kenny McLean, Lawrence Shankland and Stuart Armstrong were all introduced.

It was Armstrong who nearly had the instant impact as he raced onto a Scott McTominay pass before being dragged to the ground in the box but the referee opted not to award a penalty.

Lewis Morgan was also introduced for his first appearance of the tournament as Scotland looked to find the winner. 

Both sides were looking to go for it and the game opened up and Gunn saved well from Szoboslai before substitute Csoboth hit the post for the Hungarians. 

Deep into added time McTominay almost got on the end of a Morgan cross to poke home but the flag was up in any case.

Grant Hanley then looked to have won it in the 99th minute but his effort was saved and Christie could not force home the rebound.

Scotland then won a late corner but it was cleared and Hungary broke and Csoboth was on hand to steer the ball home at the far post to win it with virtually the last kick off the game.


Scotland: Gunn, McKenna, Hanley, Hendry, Robertson, McGregor, Gilmour, Ralston, McTominay, McGinn, Adams 

Unused substitutes: Armstrong, Clark, Cooper, Christie, Forrest, Jack, Kelly, McCrorie, McLean, Morgan, Taylor

Hungary: Gulácsi, Orbán, Dárdai, Botka, Bolla, Styles (A Nagy 61), Schäfer, Kerkez, Szoboszlai, Sallai, B. Varga

Unused substitutes: Dibusz, Szappanos, Lang, Balogh, A. Szalai, Fiola, Négo, Ádám, Kleinheisler, Gazdag, Z Nagy, Csoboth, Horváth, Kata