UEFA EURO 2020 Play-Off Semi-final

Scotland 0-0 Israel (5-3 win after penalites)

Thursday, 8 October 2020, kick-off 7.45pm

Hampden Park, Glasgow

In a night of history, Scotland secured their place in the EURO 2020 Play-Off Final after winning their first ever penalty shoot-out 5-3.

Scotland will now take on Serbia away from home on Thursday, 12 November to battle it out for a place at EURO 2020.

David Marshall and Kenny McLean were the heroes in the shoot-out as the Derby County stopper saved Israel’s first spot kick. McLean then stepped up with the weight of a nation on his shoulders to deliver the most historic kick of a football for Scotland in many a year.

As it happened

In surreal circumstances, with Hampden eerily quiet, it was Scotland who started brighter and had the first chance after seven minutes when John McGinn shaped up outside the box and cracked his shot over the bar.

Andy Robertson then struck a free-kick just wide of the mark in an opening period where Israel committed a number of fouls.

39 minutes on the clock and Scotland had their best chance of the match. John McGinn won Scotland a corner and the resultant cross ball found the head of McTominay who was in space inside the box. His header was directed towards the corner and agonisingly sailed inches wide of the post. At the break the scores were level.

With VAR are in place for the first time at Hampden there were claims of a hand ball inside the Israel box early on the second half but no penalty was given.

As the game progressed the nerves grew and Clarke brought on Fraser and Shankland. In the last five minutes Declan Gallagher was presented with a chance but his header just skidded wide of the goal.

At the other end Israel also went close but McTominay managed to head a fierce shot for a corner, which came to nothing as extra-time beckoned.

Both teams were visibly anxious with the pressure of a nation on both sets of 11 players and the first 15 minutes delivered nothing in the way of goal scoring chances.

The second-half delivered a similarly anxious 15 minutes with Israel having two chances. Firstly Zahavi skied the ball over the bar from the edge of the box before Elhamed’s cross bounced inches wide of the target with the outstretched Weissman unable to add the finishing touch.

In the dying moments tensions reached boiling point and Declan Gallagher saw his header agonisingly hit the post. Penalties were next.

McGinn started the shoot-out with a finish into the corner and Marshall followed up with an excellent save. McGregor, McTominay and Shankland all showed nerves of steel to hit the net before Kenny McLean stepped up. As a nation held their breath, the midfielder made no mistake, sparking euphoric scenes on the pitch at Hampden.


What next?

Scotland return to UEFA Nations League duty on Sunday when they take on Slovakia at Hampden before Czech Republic visit Glasgow on Wednesday.

In November they have the play-off final to look forward to, against Serbia away from home.


Scotland: Marshall, O'Donnell (McLean, 113), Robertson, McTominay, Gallagher, Cooper, McGinn, Jack (Fraser, 83), McGregor, Dykes (Paterson, 91), McBurnie (Shankland, 72)

Unused substitutes: McLaughlin, Porteous, Fleck, Taylor, McCrorie

Israel: Marciano, Dasa, Yeina, Elhamed, Tibi, Golasa (Elmkies, 100), Natcho (Abu Fani, 68), Solomon, Bitton, Zahavi, Dabbur (Weissman, 83)

Unused substitutes: Harush, Menachem, Dgani, Lavi, Seba, Karzev, Arad, Abu Hanna, Nitzan.