UEFA European Men’s Under 17 European Championship 2022/23  
Portugal v Scotland 2-1
DEAC Stadium, Debrecen
Saturday, 20 May 


Portugal 2: Olivio Tome 3', Goncalo Sousa 20'

Scotland 1: Connolly 88'

Team News 

Brian McLaughlin made two changes, with Callan McKenna replacing Rory Mahady in goals and Josh Dede - who recovered from injury - coming for Jacob MacIntyre.

Rory Wilson captained the side once again after his goal against France on Wednesday.

As It Happened 

Scotland suffered a second consecutive defeat in the challenging Group C, although McLaughlin's side once again competed and finished the game looking the more likely side to score.

After conceding an early opener against France, Scotland succumbed to another nightmare start, falling behind after just three minutes.

Scotland keeper McKenna managed to fend away a dangerous inswinging cross from Goncalo Moreira but the landed kindly for Olivio Tome who rifled home on the half volley to give the Portuguese the lead.

It nearly got worse for Scotland five minutes later as Gil Martin's angled shot cannoned back off the post and to safety.

Ryan One had impressed against France on Wednesday and he had Scotland's first attempt in the 11th minute, firing wide under pressure. 

Portugal would double their lead in the 20th minute, however, as Goncalo Sousa took the ball round Callan McKenna and fired in at the near post. 

Scotland looked to respond and One had another effort in the 28th minute. After a swift counter attack involving Lennon Miller and Kyle Ure, One got a shot under from a tight angle but it lacked the power to trouble Portugal goalkeeper Goncalo Ribeiro.

McLaughlin's side grew into the game and were in the ascendency as the first half drew to a close. 

The second period was a cagier affair, with a number of changes from both sides. Portugal had the first real chance of the half through substitute Geovany Quenda who fired over on the half volley and the same player also worked McKenna as he cut in from the right wing and tried his luck at the near post. 

Miller saw a penalty appeal turned down for Scotland, while One came close again as he shot into the side netting after a promising break. 

Portugal almost added a third Joao Infante before Scotland deservedly got on the score sheet for the second successive match.

Lennon Connolly had only been on the pitch for five minutes but he latched on to Bobby McLuckie's deflected cross and latched a delightful volley into the far corner. 

Scotland finished strongly, controlling the ball and keeping Portugal hemmed in but were not able to create any clear-cut openings as the match finished 2-1.

Next Up 

Scotland's Group C campaign concludes with a match against Germany on Tuesday. 

Scotland: McKenna, Friel (MacIntyre 64'), Frame (McLuckie 73'), Grant, Bailey, Lennon, Wilson, Ure (Allan-Molotnikov 64'), One (Connolly 81'), Dede (Forsyth 81')

Unused Subs: Mahady, Ellis, Simpson, Marshall.