Forth Valley SFA got their Scottish Cup section matches off to a winning start when they beat Fife SFA at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir on Thursday 29th September.


These two teams contested last season’s semi final at the same venue with Fife winning through to the Final after a penalty kick shoot out, but the home team on this occasion made sure of no repeat with a convincing 5 – 0 victory.


National team selectors were on hand on a perfect Autumn afternoon and saw Forth Valley eventually go ahead after 35 minutes having dominated the early proceedings with wide player Michael Weir ( St Modan’s HS) showing up well.


Forward Keiran Anderson Ballantyne(Falkirk HS) scored with a rasping 18 yard shot from the left side of the box, finally beating Fife keeper James Clelland who had made a number of good early saves.


At the other end last season’s international keeper Dean Shaw also of Falkirk HS was giving a confidence inspiring performance as he handled shots well and dominated on cross balls.


Lornshill Academy’s Craig Martin set up Ballantyne Anderson’s second goal just before half time with a good through ball. Ballantyne Anderson completed his hat trick within minutes of the second half starting and effectively ended the tie. His free kick effort from the left eluded everyone and ended in the back of the net.


Forth Valley’s Jamie O’Grady, the third Falkirk HS player in the team, claimed a touch with his head but there was no way he was denying Ballantyne Anderson of his hat trick claim.


Secure at the back and dominating now in midfield with good performances from O’Grady, Matthew Cooper ( StMungo’s HS) and David McGauchie ( Dunblane HS),Forth Valley were able to pass the ball around comfortably and Ballantyne Anderson added a fourth goal with a great strike from the edge of the box.Quite a show from the pacy youngster also playing for Stenhousemuir FC.


A fifth goal was added when Mark Flynn ( Wallace HS) scored with almost his first touch after coming on as a substitute. Forth Valley were able to make another few substitutions as they played the game out to a comfortable win.


The senior representative team now play Angus in their second section game in a match that will take place towards the end of October with Ochilview again the likely venue.

The under 15 Forth Valley team selection will be finalised on.


Monday 3rd October at a second trial at Wallace HS.

Over 70 players turned out at the first trial – a great response to playing representative schools football and after a difficult selection the final squad will be chosen from 30 players invited back.


Their first game also against Fife SFA will take place in October but with holiday weeks being different through- out the country, a date has yet to be agreed.