Toulon Tournament 2017
Scotland 2-1 Indonesia
Tuesday, 6 June 2017, kick-off 5pm (local time)
Stade Ladoumegue, France

Hardie (32, 65); Putra Saghara (33)

Scotland have qualified for the semi-finals of this year’s Toulon Tournament after coming from behind to beat Indonesia and set up a clash with the Auld Enemy on Thursday afternoon.

Rangers striker Ryan Hardie hit a double to hand Scotland all three points and put them in pole position to qualify as the best-place runner-up from the three groups.

Following the win, Brazil and Czech Republic drew 0-0 in the early evening kick off meaning Scotland’s place in the last four was sealed.

Scot Gemmill’s men will face England at 4pm (UK time) in the first of two semi-finals at Stade Parsemain – the scene of Scotland’s memorable win over Brazil earlier this week – with Ivory Coast taking on Czech Republic in the other fixture.

Scotland captain Oliver Burke could only make do with a place on the bench after suffering a knock against Brazil and Celtic defender Anthony Ralston was handed the armband.

Goalscorer Hardie and club team mate Ross McCrorie made their first starts at this year’s tournament.

Hardie almost handed Scotland the perfect start after three minutes when he tried his luck from 25 yards but the ball flew just over the bar.

Celtic midfielder Aidan Nesbitt then had a glorious chance to score after eight minutes when he was put through one-on-one with goalkeeper Muahammad Riyandi but his effort bounced of the post and Indonesia were able to clear.

Craig Wighton went close to opening the scoring midway through the first half after taking the ball beyond the goalkeeper but the Dundee forward’s effort from a tight angle hit the side netting.

Indonesia then took a shock lead minutes later with their first attack of the match.

Putra Saghara pounced on some loose defending inside the Scotland penalty area before firing the ball low past Jack Ruddy.

Hardie almost equalised a minute later when he dragged the ball past the goalkeeper before shooting wide.

Scotland finally grabbed their deserved equaliser just after the half hour mark when he curled a beautiful shot into the top corner.

The lively Wighton almost turned things in Scotland’s favour minutes later with a fine shot that was tipped over the bar by the goalkeeper before Adam Frizzell had his shot beaten away.

Indonesia started the second half brightly and Nurrokhim Adha went close to handing them the advantage but he scooped his shot over the bar from 20 yards.

Scotland continued their dominance and were awarded a penalty after 65 minutes when Ralston was tripped in the box.

Hardie stepped up and smashed the ball into the bottom corner to give Scotland the lead.

Substitute Jordan Holsgrove made a number excellent runs into the Indonesian penalty area as Scotland sought a third goal which would have sealed the victory but they were unable to find the target.

Scot Gemmill’s side saw off some late pressure from their opponents before the referee blew the whistle for full time.

The result meant Scotland had to wait until the end of the match between Brazil and Czech Republic to ensure their place in the last four was secure.

They will take on England, winners of Group A, on Thursday, 8 June with a place at this year’s final at stake.

SCOTLAND | Ruddy, Ralston, Taylor, Iacovitti, McCart, Hardie (Jules 80), Frizzell (Thomson 69), Wilson, Nesbitt (Holsgrove 50), Wighton (Sammut 75), McCrorie.

Subs not used | Doohan (GK), Burke, Magennis.