Match Report by Scottish FA Youth Ambassadors of Change

UEFA Elite Round
Scotland 1-1 Poland
Tuesday, 26 March, kick-off 5pm
Firhill Stadium, Glasgow

Scotland Under-17’s final match in the UEFA Elite Round finished level in an entertaining encounter with Poland.

Scotland dominated possession in the opening exchanges of the match but found themselves 1-0 behind after six minutes. A free-kick swung into the Scotland box could only be parried by keeper Cieran Slicker and Poland captain Michal Rakoczy finished high into the net from close range to give the visitors the lead.

Scotland almost responded immediately. Good play from Cameron Logan down the right created a chance for Michael Craig, whose resulting effort from 20 yards flew just wide of the post.

Kai Kennedy and Sonny Blue Lo-Everton stood out in a dominant first half display by Scotland and it was Lo-Everton who had the best chance to equalise.

Sonny Blu-Lo Everton

He plucked the ball out of the sky at the edge of the area and went by two men just before half time, but his shot didn’t trouble Polish keeper Bieszczad.

Lo-Everton had another great chance shortly after, but he couldn’t connect properly from a Kennedy cross which was fizzed across the six-yard box.

Despite Scotland’s domination they were fortunate to not be two down at the break.

Daniel Dudzinski’s shot clipped the post on the stroke of half time and it took a goal line clearance by Logan to stop the forward’s second effort going in.

Scotland continued the second half on the front foot and came close to an equaliser early on.

Lo-Everton slid the ball through to Logan who got forward at every opportunity from right back. His effort flashed across goal.

Scotland captain Connor McAvoy fashioned a chance soon after, taking the ball past Polish right back Niski.

Like Logan’s effort moments earlier, however, the resulting shot across the face of goal was inches off target.

Poland grew into the second half and it was the visitors who had most of the chances.

Zalewski fired a free kick from range narrowly over before Kaminski cut in from the right and tested Slicker in the Scotland goal.

The Scotland defence started to leave gaps in their search for an equaliser. Kozlowski and Dudinski both went close with fierce efforts from distance.

Scotland’s pressure continued. Andrew Winter looked to be through on goal before he was stopped by a last-ditch tackle, before the hosts eventually got the goal their play deserved in the 82nd minute.

Winter’s inviting cross was met by substitute Thomas Dickson-Peters who connected perfectly to loop his header over the keeper and into the net.

Thomas Dickson-Peters scores

Both sides pressed for a winner in an open game.

Polish substitute Hubert Turski came closest, connecting with a cross from the right. But his header went just wide of the target.

It finished 1-1 at Firhill, with Brian McLaughlin’s side unlucky to not take all three points against a resolute Polish side.