UEFA European Under-17 Championship Finals (Group B)
Scotland 2-0 Faroe Islands
Wednesday, 3 May 2017, kick-off 12 noon (local time)
Stadium Lucko, Lucko

Second-half goals from Innes Cameron and Jack Aitchison got Scotland off to a winning start at the 2017 UEFA European Under-17 Championship Finals with a deserved 2-0 win over Faroe Islands.

Scot Gemmill’s side dominated play from the outset but had to wait until the hour mark before opening the scoring through Kilmarnock striker Cameron, who netted just four minutes after replacing Lewis Smith.

Skipper Aitchison wrapped up the win nine minutes later when he slammed the ball home from inside the penalty area.

This year’s finals was Scotland’s fourth IN as many seasons at this level, and they travelled to Croatia high on confidence after picking up six wins from six matches in qualifying.

They had to make do without three players for today’s encounter with Zak Rudden, Kerr Mcinroy and Robbie Deas all suspended.

Scotland started the match brightly and Celtic striker Aitchison’s smart back-heel played in Seb Ross but his effort was straight at Faroe Islands goalkeeper Bjarti Vitalis Mørk.

Wolves midfielder Elliot Watt had a pop from a free-kick on 30 minutes but his effort was comfortably stoped by Mørk who then produced a stunning save from Aitchison two minutes later.

Rangers full-back Jordan Houston thought he had made the breakthrough for Scotland just before the interval but his header at the back post was stopped on the line by Mørk to keep things level at half time.

Watt had two shots blocked midway through the second half before substitute Cameron finally put Scotland into the lead.

A fine cross-field pass from Lewis Mayo found Houston and his low cross was met at the back post by Cameron who knocked the ball home from close range.

Aitchison pounced on some slack Faroe Islands play at the back before smashing the ball home on 58 minutes, making it 2-0.

Things went from bad to worse for Faroe Islands, who were competing at their first ever finals at any level, when Asbjørn Heðinsson was shown a second yellow on 72 minutes.

Cameron had the chance to grab a second goal in added time but he fired high over the bar from close range.

The result puts Scotland level with Hungary on three points at the top of Group B after they defeated France 3-2 in the other match.

Scotland will face their Hungarian counterparts on Saturday as they aim to continue their fantastic winning run and put one foot in the quarter-finals.

SCOTLAND | McCracken (GK), Mayo, Church, Welsh, Mitchell, Aitchsion (Cpt.), Watt, Middleton (Reid 76), Ross (Hutchison 74), Smith (Cameron 55), Houston.

Subs not used: Mullen (GK).