Little Big Shot Scottish FA Youth Cup semi-final
Rangers 1-0 Ayr United
Ibrox Park, Glasgow
Sunday 3rd May 2015

Rangers progressed to the final of the Little Big Shot Scottish FA Youth Cup after a Fraser Aird goal was enough to see them edge past Ayr United in the semi-finals at Ibrox.
The Gers were determined to book their place in the final for a second consecutive year from the off, making an intense start which Ayr found difficult to cope with. The away side were camped in their own half, struggling to make their way up the pitch as the hosts pressurised in a dominant opening 20 minutes.  
A goal for the Blues looked imminent and on 15 minutes a triple chance looked like it might break the deadlock; Jamie Mills was on the end of a cross by Ryan Sinnamon and was unlucky to see his initial attempt hit the woodwork, then he reacted quickest to fire a snap-shot towards goal but Newman was equal to it. Ayr could not get the ball clear but Sinnamon's shot was deflected over from the edge of the area.
Midway through the half, Craig Halkett headed over from a corner for the home side after beating his marker to the ball as Ayr finally began to look a little more comfortable. The visitors did not offer much attacking threat in the opening 45, finding it difficult to link their play and add rhythm. However, the best chance of the half arguably fell to them when right-back Gordon Young delivered an excellent cross to the back post which picked out the unmarked Sean McKenzie but the number nine failed to direct his header towards target.
There was more intent from Ayr in the second period which opened up the game and they were very close to making a breakthrough within five minutes of the restart. Ryan Nisbet sent a ferocious strike from 25 yards towards Kelly which the keeper was glad to see drift wide. Meanwhile, Burrows also tried his luck from distance in similar fashion and found the same result.

Just before the hour-mark, Rangers took the lead, when Hardie dribbled past Andrew Muir and found Fraser Aird. The midfielder’s low shot clipped Burrows on its way to goal with Newman helpless as Rangers deservedly took the lead.
Rangers again took control as the chances flowed for the Ibrox men. Twice Darren Ramsey found space in the box, the first time from Mills’ pull-back, then Sinnamon found the number 10 but on both times he failed to hit the target.
Scott Roberts was introduced for the Glasgow giants, adding energy and pace on the right flank and he too had chances to double the lead but side-footed wide from 10 yards before seeing his near-post strike parried by Newman.
As the closing stages approached, Ayr threw more men forward and although they could not carve out anything clear-cut, set pieces caused Rangers some difficulty. Shirkie in particular saw one free-kick from the left side of the box narrowly evade the far post.
The six-time winners of the trophy saw out the remaining minutes and will play either Celtic or Hibernian in their 15th Youth Cup final.